Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Introducing the worlds tallest building, the Burj Khalifa

Due to being a bit overzealous with the sightseeing I haven't had a chance to create any 3D models of Dubai yet, so I thought instead I would share a model of a building which just happens to be the tallest in the world.  For the moment anyway.  The Burj Khalifa which opened in January 2010 stands at 828 metres tall.

I visited the viewing tower on the 124th floor of the Burj Khalifa last night with a friend, and the view was spectacular. You can see for miles, and it makes all of the surrounding buildings (which are already massive) look like models.

The Burj Khalifa currently holds 14 world records which you can see for yourself on the wikipedia page. My friend helpfully suggested another record that it might hold, longest drop for poop from the toilet on the top floor! Although I'm not sure they'll be keen to publicise that.

Wondering what all the fuss is about? See for yourself, here are a couple of photos I took:


The Burj Khalifa on the left.  Entrance to Dubai mall, the worlds largest shopping mall, on the right.


The Burj Khalifa


The view from the viewing platform on the 124th floor


The Burj Khalifa at night

There are already a number of 3D models which have been created for Google Earth and I thought I would share my favourite one with you.  It was created by a fellow Google Earth modeller, and I really hope this one makes in onto the 3D buildings layer.  You may need a plug-in to be able to view the 3D model below, if you can't see it you need the plug-in.




No comments:

Post a Comment